Privacy – 15.1. When you donate, fundraise or support Leeds Cares
Purpose of processing
When you donate, fundraise or support Leeds Cares, we collect information including your personal data, so that we can process the income, manage our relationship with you and fulfil our regulatory responsibilities.
What information we need
We need enough information to be able to process your donation or fundraising or discuss your support, manage our relationship with you and, if you have registered for gift aid, to meet the requirements of HMRC.
This may include:
- Name, address, phone and email address
- Communication preferences
- Financial information such as bank details and credit/debit card information provided in order to make a payment. We will retain bank details where a standing order or direct debit has been set up, but do not store credit/debit card information
- Your tax status for the purposes of claiming gift aid against your donations.
- Details of how you have interacted with us, for example by taking part in an event, raising funds through a coffee morning or donating to an appeal.
- Details including health information and whether you have a disability, where this information is required for an event/fundraising activity.
- Emergency contact information if you are taking part in an event.
- Name of deceased family or friend when you donate via Tribute Funds.
Where you have organised a funeral collection for Leeds Cares, your funeral director will pass us your contact details (with your permission only) to allow us to thank you for your kind donation.
Legal basis and why we need the information
We rely on the contract basis for processing financial information. Collecting financial data and processing your bank account details/credit card or other information is required by the contract we have with you (in that you would like to donate to us and we require to process this donation to fulfil your wishes, or to process your entry fee and facilitate registration for events).
This enables us to set up your direct debit or process your card transaction. We do not receive your credit card details when you pay via our website. When you donate via phone call to a member of the Leeds Cares’ team, your credit card details are entered directly into the card machine and are not recorded by us.
Research & Profiling
We rely on legitimate interests to enable us to undertake research and profiling activities which provides an improved experience for our supporters.
When building our supporter profile, we may analyse geographic and demographic information, online behaviour, and purchase history, to better understand your interests and ensure relevant communications. For example, by identifying your location, we can then share information about relevant events or volunteering opportunities in your local area.
We may also profile supporters in terms of financial and practical support. For example, we may keep track of the amount, frequency and value of each person’s support to Leeds Cares to helps us ensure communications are relevant and timely.
Where our research and profiling would override your rights and freedoms if we were to continue, we will ask for your consent.
There are various reasons why we would hold your information for communication purposes, for which we rely on legitimate interests as our legal basis:
- To contact you about your donation or fundraising activity
- To send you the latest news from Leeds Cares; this may be through newsletters and information about our goods, services and activities
- To promote Leeds Cares; events and fundraising opportunities and campaigns
- To raise awareness of Leeds Cares’ employment vacancies and volunteering opportunities
- To gather and request feedback on Leeds Cares’ events and fundraising opportunities
- To ask if you would like to donate to Leeds Cares, including leaving a legacy in your will
We communicate through post and email, phone and text message (SMS). Our legal basis for communicating with you via post or phone call is our legitimate interests. We will only send you emails and texts with your explicit consent.
You are able to opt out of our marketing communications at any time, although this means we would be unable to keep you informed of news, events or fundraising opportunities that may interest you.
We are legally required to collect enough information to personally identify you, including your postal address. If this detail is not provided, we cannot claim back gift aid on your donation.
Special Category Data
We may be required to record details such as your date of birth, and any disability or health issues at the time of booking an event or fundraising activity. Our legal basis is either your consent or based on a contractual requirement (i.e. some events stipulate a certain level of fitness/health to take part). This information is also collected to help ensure your comfort and safety.
Please note that if you choose not to provide your health/disability information, you may not be able to participate in an event/fundraising activity.
Fundraising event support
We would like to assist you with your fundraising including keeping in contact about your ongoing fundraising activity to offer advice and assistance, and providing Leeds Cares’ branded materials. We may also monitor your fundraising to ensure Leeds Cares is able to benefit from your generous donation.
We do this based on our legitimate interests (in supporting your fundraising activity/attendance at an event on our behalf) and your legitimate interests (in that you would like us to support your fundraising activity/event).
Emergency contact information
If you are participating in an event or fundraising activity, we may collect the name and telephone number of an emergency contact for us to contact if required on your behalf. We do this on the basis of your legitimate interests and our legal obligation (to ensure appropriate health and safety at events/fundraising activities). Where you choose not to provide such information, you may not be able to participate.
Please note that it is your responsibility to advise your emergency contact that you are passing their details to us, and that the information will only be used for this purpose.
What we do with the data
Your personal information will be kept secure within Leeds Cares using appropriate technical controls to protect your details. We will not sell, trade or lease your personal information to others.
A file will be created on our Customer Relationship Management system using your personal information to record your interaction with us.
When you donate to or fundraise for us, we may pass your personal data to carefully selected third parties:
- Event organisers to enable you to participate in the event you have signed up to;
- Our linked charities, so they can send you the communications you have requested;
- HMRC for the purposes of claiming gift aid, if you have provided us with a gift aid declaration;
- Our service providers who assist us with fundraising appeals, response handling and newsletters. For example, print management, postal services and affiliate marketers to call supporters. This includes Doing More Print (Ltd) for print and mailing services and OnePost for the postal element;
- Our payment processing providers to assist us in providing payment services for donations and orders from our shop. Our current payment processing providers are JustGiving, Virgin Money, PayPal, Stripe and Instagiv.
- Our third-party IT providers who assist us in providing our systems and databases. Our website provider is Banana Kick Ltd and Blue Logic (part of BCN Group Ltd) is our IT support provider.
We may share your data with third parties in order to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. For example, this may include comparing your details against the National Deceased Register and Royal Mail’s National Change of Address. We may use other or new lists as is appropriate to ensure the accuracy of the information we hold about you.
We will pass your details to our third-party email marketing provider Mailchimp who processes our bulk email communications. They are based in the USA and are accredited under the EU-US Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between Europe and the USA. Their privacy notice can be accessed through the following link https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/.
For other third parties we use (including those not required for this ‘Processing Purpose’), please see Section 6 of the main policy – Sharing of Your Information.